The cucumber is the “coolest” of all vegetables. Medicinally, they can be laid directly on the skin to soothe burns or inflamed areas. When ingested, they can help with conditions like reflux or recurrent mouth ulcers. Cucumbers also contain Vitamins E, A and C, as well as potassium. The skins are high in folic acid, so if you are pregnant or trying to conceive, this a great veggie to add to your diet. Here’s an easy and delicious recipe for a side dish to accompany your next summer meal. It will be a big hit at your next potluck, we promise!
Asian Cucumber Salad
- 3 cucumbers, peeled
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Peel cucumbers and cut on the diagonal into thin slices. Toss the cucumber pieces with kosher salt, transfer to a colander, and let drain for 1 hour.
- Toast white sesame seeds in a dry skillet until they’re golden brown. Whisk together rice wine vinegar, toasted sesame oil, sugar, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Rinse the cucumber slices thoroughly under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Toss the cucumbers with the dressing and toasted sesame seeds and serve.