A healthy dish for your decadent dinner this holiday season
- 1 bunch of kale – washed, but not fully dried. Stems removed
- 2 Garlic cloves – fresh, crushed
- 1/2 Onion or 1 shallot finely chopped
- 10oz sliced Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Dash of Turmeric powder
- Dash of Ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp of Roasted Red Pepper Flakes – or to taste
- Salt and Pepper – to taste
- Optional: Handful of dried cranberries, 2 tbsp of crumbled goat cheese
In a large skillet, saute onion and mushrooms in olive oil along with turmeric, ginger, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper over medium heat. Once onions are transparent and mushrooms are dark, reduce heat to med/low, add crushed garlic and combine. This should take less than five minutes.
Tear or chop kale into palm-sized pieces or smaller and add to saucepan by the handful. Let sit and steam for about 1 minute and then start to combine with the contents on the bottom of the pan for another minute or so. Once kale has wilted, gotten darker in color, and softer in texture, reduce heat to low and simmer for another minute.
Remove from heat and transfer to a serving bowl. Add goat cheese and/or cranberries and combine for a more holiday color or creamier flavor.